Tuesday, March 3, 2015

He

As this is a conversation between you and me, Reid, that others get to be let it on, I find it a little frustrating writing right now.  It's like being at a coffee shop and everyone is listening to your conversation.  There's no opportunity to be a little bit heretical:) That being said, I keep envisioning you being a tree--I was thinking a pine tree at first, but you don't smell that good and their fruit, while edible, is not exactly the picture language here.  At least I don't think so.  I'm going to think of a coconut tree.  That way I can imagine myself on a beach.  I'm guessing that's not what David was thinking either, but I'm going to go with it.


I keep reading through Psalm 1--I guess that's part of the meditation aspect.  There's an ideal man, one who walks not in the counsel of the wicked nor stands in the way of sinners, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers.  That man is blessed.  He is THE man.  If we read Psalm 1 from the aspect of Jesus as that man, I get it.  He (read Jesus) is like a tree planted by streams of water and He yields his fruit in season.  All that He does prospers.  That makes sense.  He is He but I know me.  I am an expert on me. 


The Psalmist makes it sound so simple.  There are streams of water (John 4).  There is a tree and fruit (John 15).  There is prosperity. (Acts 2:37-47.)  Delight in the Law.  Watch your posture.  Be wary of the wicked.  All good to be sure, but most days are desperate days.  These are the days when my head settles into the pillow at the end of the day and I begin to dream of the things that I didn't accomplish, or the thoughts and deeds that I did accomplish of which I am embarrassed.  (Romans 7:15-25)  Paul seems to have these verses in mind, too.  "For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, but I see in my members another law waging war and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members.  Wretched man that I am!"  I suppose there is a reason my middle name is Paul.


To be planted, immovable, and strong against the gale forced winds of derision coming from the wicked is truly a glorious concept.  To bear fruit when the rest of the world is withering away; that is the ideal.  And if the world would truly see that the only place they could find rest was in the shade of this tree which offers glorious fruit, not from the knowledge of Good and Evil, but of life--we could get back to the business of Eden.  Prosperity, not material prosperity, but communal prosperity in which the lavish gifts of God are bestowed; that would be marvelous.  To find a place to be rooted and grounded in love.  To be in a congregation of the righteous (v. 5) is the ultimate goal/gift. 


I would love to be in a forest of these trees waving forth in continual praise to the Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment